10.04.2008

Kansas City BBQ

When I met my husband, I didn't eat red meat...now we live in Kansas. We moved here 7 years ago and I didn't understand the obsession with barbecue. However, over time, I've learned that it is our claim to fame and I have embraced it.
Last night was the American Royal BBQ - the BBQ of the year. We started our evening at Roadkill - all the competing teams name their tent/team. My brother-in-law and friend prep all the meat for serving. I can't tell you all the items I ate, but each bite melted in my mouth! They also had Mustard Girl condiments - a favorite of mine. Entry into the tent is canned food goods for Harvesters or a $10 donation to the organization.

Next stop was Meat Mitch. This crew goes over the top to entertain their guests! It begins with their invitation which includes a Meat Mitch tattoo for entry. As you walk in, the scent of Red Bull fills the air. I didn't even make it to the food table, because I heard my favorite 80's tunes. This year their dance floor was crazy! Not only did they have their dance party videos on 2 big screens, but they created a drive-in movie size screen on a neighboring building - great times. Even E! Entertainment came to film the shindig, impressive. All tips from the bar go to women fighting breast cancer, specifically two Kansas City women.

My husband and the host, Mitch

Please note, blurry pictures are NOT caused by the consumption of too much keg beer. I forgot my camera and had to resort to my I Phone camera - not great for night photos!

No comments: