10.16.2008

Never fail recipe

I have this idea that food is the cure for anyone in need...a baby is born, the family needs food...someone has surgery, they need food...a loved one passes away, the family needs food. This is all well and good, but I've had a few disasters that are no real excuses for an edible meal. After the dried up pork tenderloin with a side of salad-in-a-bag that I delivered to a new mother of a 4th baby boy, I decided I needed to move on to baked goods. Don't sign me up for entire meals to be delivered on a specific date, because my family doesn't often get that! Now my answer to food chains will be "surprise baked goods". This means, I don't know when I'll bake them, but when I do, it will be a surprise treat - and edible!

Here's a no fail recipe, from The Joy of Cooking - my Bible in the kitchen. It's great to whip up if you've got a few over ripened bananas on your counter.

Banana Bread
all ingredients at room temp, position rack in lower third of oven, preheat oven to 350 & grease loaf pan

Whisk together:
1 1/3 cups flour
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder

In a large bowl, beat together:
5 1/3 T unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar

Beat in the flour mixture, then gradually beat in:
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Fold in:
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 bananas)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans - I leave this out, due to allergies!

Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes & let cool in the pan 10 mins. before taking it out to slice.

Enjoy!

No comments: